As the ongoing pandemic brings into sharp focus the ways kids are learning (or not), Next City looks at self-directed education, which respects each student’s passions, encourages self-sufficiency and turns the city into a classroom.
The story about the United States situation was written by Valerie Vande Panne and published July 6, 2020. The topics are:
1. IS UNSCHOOLING THE WAY TO DECOLONIZE EDUCATION?
2. FREE YOUR MIND AND THE REST WILL FOLLOW
3. CRISIS SCHOOLING, UNSCHOOLING, DESCHOOLING, HOME SCHOOLING
4. A SOLUTION THAT SPEAKS TO EQUITY AND EQUALITY
5. WHAT DOES SDE (Self-directed Education) LOOK LIKE?
6. WHAT DO KIDS THINK?
7. THE CITY AS AN OPEN-AIR CLASSROOM
More features include:
* What Happens to a Neighborhood When a School Closes?
* Demands of Striking L.A. Teachers Include Smaller Class Sizes, Accountability for Charters
* Parenting While Encacerated
* How Rapid-Response Exhibits Are Changing the Way Museums Engage Communities
The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education. — Albert Einstein
NOTE: Next City is a nonprofit news organization that believes journalists have the power to amplify solutions and help spread these from one city to the next city. Their mission is to inspire greater economic, environmental, and social justice in cities.